Roofing Shingles 101 – Asphalt Shingles are Tops
Our expert roofers offer roof replacement & new construction roof installation with quality shingles & roofing materials for
Lakeland, FL, Plant City FL, Bartow FL, Winter Haven FL, Auburndale FL and all of Polk County
There are a few options you can choose when it comes to selecting material for your roof. It’s important to remember that some roofing materials will be better suited for your house than others. The slope of your roof & design of your framing can limit compatible roofing material so speaking with a roofing expert is the best way to begin planning your new roof installation or reroofing service.
Asphalt shingles are by far the most popular type of roofing materials for homes in the Lakeland FL area. In fact, asphalt shingles comprise over 80% of the residential roofing market and it’s not hard to see why. Between price, ease of installation, and variety of styles & colors, shingles tend to be the “go-to” choice for many homeowners.
Here’s a look at some of the characteristics of shingles:
- Materials – Asphalt shingles are created with one of two types of bases; organic fiber mat or fiberglass. While the organic fiber mat base is generally better for cold weather & offers more wind resistance, the fiberglass base offers fire & moisture resistance which is extremely important in Polk County FL. Both bases are impregnated with asphalt and then coated with mineral granules to complete the shingles.
- Durability - In comparison to other roofing materials, shingles don’t offer the highest level of durability, but they are designed to have 20+ years of useful life. Plus, there are a number of algae resistant shingles that are used for the humid climate here in Florida to prevent staining.
- Appearance - Shingles come in a wide range of colors and shapes and can create a truly striking effect from a street view. Traditional 3-tab shingles are a thing of the past. Now, manufacturers can create beautiful, thick architectural shingles that add depth and durability to your new roof system.
- Weight - Moderate in weight, shingles are often appropriate for most framing designs. It’s important to note that when reroofing, old shingles & roofing materials should be removed before installing the new shingles to keep the weight from becoming too heavy which could result in sagging.
- Slope - Due to their design, shingles are able to be used on low slopes over 2:12 to steep slopes of 21:12.
- Price - Price is a big reason that shingles are so popular. Ranging from inexpensive to moderately priced, shingles are in general the most affordable roofing material available. Remember that you get what you pay for, and in most cases it’s worth spending a little extra money upfront on top quality shingles in order to ensure longevity & durability. This can save you the headache, hassle, and expense of replacing cheap shingles after they wear out way too early.
With good fire resistance and decent wind resistance, asphalt shingles are a great choice for new roof installations or roof replacements in Lakeland FL, Bartow FL, Winter Haven FL, Auburndale FL, and all of Polk County. If you’d like to learn more about choosing the perfect shingles for your roofing project, contact our industry experts today!